Monday, September 26, 2011

Everywhere I go, I pray for universal love.

Before we get too far here, I know.

Bring up Aqua, and it's either love or hate for Barbie Girl

So let's be crystal clear again, I'm a big fan. While there's plenty of good melodic angst out there, music can, and should be, just plain fun sometimes! 

These Scandinavian popsters ran with the crazy well before we had the Haus of Gaga. Almost anything off their two albums from the late 1990s and early 2000s will make me smile when it pops up on a playlist, and the neon videos are a hoot! All of this should come as no surprise, since I've said all this before.

It's not just the crazy that endeared me, though. For every song about plastic dolls, candy or cartoon heroes, there were also a few killer less-sugary tracks to balance the palate.

With the band back together more permanently it seems, and about to release a third new album, they have a new single out, and Playmate to Jesus, is a pleasant surprise more along the lines of Turn Back Time, We Belong to the Sea or the more-recent My Mamma Said than to anything technicolor.

Playmate to Jesus

But yeah, it's still Aqua and it does head into the planets, so not too serious either!

Their new album Megalomania is out October 3. I can't find a U.S. date is confirmed, but I already have my signed copy preordered straight from Denmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.