Sunday, June 28, 2009

When boys wore skinny leather ties, oo-oh-oh, like Don Johnson from Miami Vice.

Think bubblegum-popstars Aqua, and -- more than likely -- the first thing that comes to mind is Barbie Girl.

If you just rolled your eyes, then move right along because this post isn't meant for you.

OK, since you're still reading I can assume you can appreciate the joy that was Aqua in the late 1990s. My iPod will occasionally surprise me with a sugary morsel from any of their albums, and it always makes me smile. This is essential absolute upbeat pop with zero pretenses.

So it's with some trepidation that I encourage you to watch their new single off their new greatest hits album. The band did the whole breakup, creative differences thing, and recently started inching back together. They're even touring again right now, even if it's only on their home Danish turf.

Part of me thinks maybe this genie had it's moment out of the bottle, and I should be happy for what I have with Aquarium and Aquarius and move on with my life.

I really, really want to like Back in the 80s. I've been percolating this one for a bit, trying to decide if it's a failed gimmick from a band cashing in one last time, or whether it's a self-ironic nod from the ultimate plastic band that wasn't even around in the 1980's.

You decide:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.