Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A New York City Tuk-Tuk?

Having ridden in many a Tuk-Tuk and motorbike taxi in Asia, I do know the benefits of small, nimble public transport options. I also know how dangerous and impractical they can be.

So it is with some bemusement and interest that I found this modern take on a small motorbike cab over on Core77. According to them, the cool-looking City Swing could be a green hybrid transportation solution for congested cities.

I think most people who propose these things haven't ridden on a tuk-tuk or motorcycle taxi in a congested city. They may be able to weave through tighter spaces, but they come with their own set of major issues.

When the weather is warm and dry you are fine. Throw in some rain, let alone a New York snowstorm, and their lack of enclosure becomes a big wet windy problem.

Even when it is nice out: You know the exhaust from the bus and the cars in front of you? It likes to collect on your face and clothing as you drive through it.

Their small footprint also make them dangerous targets in traffic, compared to your standard yellow taxis.

While the artist renderings make a point of giving each rider a helmet as they cruise gleefully through Times Square, would drivers really stop and make sure everyone is wearing one? Not to mention the health issues of sharing helmets...

Keep in mind, I am a scooterist. I have made my peace with two-wheelers and love riding my scooter around town. I know my scooter is easier to park, and often maneuver, than my car. I even find shared scooter concepts, like this one, intriguing.

Urban transportation alternatives are not what makes me skeptical. Moto-taxis, tuk-tuks and the City Swing are simply a different animal, with serious faults. They are little more than a novelty. Even in Bangkok and Hanoi, I would much rather be in a taxi any day.

The City Swing would look really cool on the streets.

Clearly I have gambled my life on similar contraptions in the past.

The real question is: Just because it's snazzy would I want to subject myself to risk and fumes more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.