Monday, November 5, 2007

My latest true love (and the forces that are breaking us apart)

Dear CBS,

It's taken me far too long to say this, and now that it took me three years to figure it out, it may all just disappear.

So I must be resolute and type this out loud:

I'm in love with How I Met Your Mother.

So please, for the love of all that's decent, sort out this writer's strike thingy that I have seriously mixed feelings about.

Watching Tina Fey on the news today in her New Yorker black uniform with a solidarity picket or Jay Leno with his million-dollar-contract-but-I'm-an-everyman donuts was awkward enough.

I'm not sure I want to fathom spring without more clues about mommy and why I feel strangely compelled to buy the DVDs (that the writers apparently won't get a cut of, because I'm a bad bad consumer for supporting evil corporations that produce great stuff like this) so I can catch up on Marhall and Barney's whole slap countdown story.

I do get that the writing team behind such a great show deserves their piece of the success pie, especially with Hollywood's notoriously murky accounting. But seriously, it's not like they're picketing for black lung awareness.

The truth is the writers want their moment to make their point. And we all just know this may be a long awkward picket season, considering directors and actors have their own contract plights to renegotiate in the new year.

I can't wait for Brangelina to show their solidarity with all their kids. Perez Hilton will have a field day with that.

But I digress.

So now instead of watching the awkwardness of Ted and Robin not dating, or Marshall and Lily making sadly-relatable googly eyes at each other, I face with dread the moment you sear my eyes with Celebrity Big Brother, Farmer Wants A Wife or Gymnastics with the D-List.

So, CBS, I'll give some lovin' to whatever you have left for me of Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin and Barney this season.

If you do rip us apart, be gentle, and don't get mad if I find better things to do with my Mondays while you barrage us with 48 Hours Mysteries. I do have a mountain of neglected DVDs begging for attention.

If it's any consolation, you'll still see me around occasionally for The Amazing Race and Survivor, so I'll be checking in.

Hopefully someone will still be around to write a happy ending for Ted and his kids before 2030.

Sincerely,

RandomTope

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.