Tuesday, August 21, 2007

With a taste of poison paradise I'm addicted to you

I love how long unexpected hours on a plane with my ipod can bring music into focus. For instance, the new Natasha Bedingfeld album that we were so excited to find in Vietnam curiously finds it's tracks quickly skipped now.

On the other hand, I'm transfixed by Mark Ronson's album, Version -- to the point that I keep searching out it's tracks.

Ronson's one of those so-current hot new producers, responsible for Europop gems by Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen and Robbie Williams. He also has his turntables tuned to more urban beats from which I usually veer away.

The end result of his varied influences is this sublime album of subtly freshened cover songs.

His devious take on Britney Spears' Toxic, for instance, has officially thrown me for a loop. Normally I'd hate some of the stuff he's mashed up in there, but I can't get enough of it.

Luckily for everyone, he's now getting a push here stateside. VH1 and MTV have been running Stop Me for a bit now, and the Amy Winehouse collaboration, Valerie, is on its way as well.

Cheers to Mark Ronson for this rousing effort. It's a brilliant mix of styles and sounds that has me completely hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.