Saturday, June 21, 2008

Proudly.

It's that time of year again here in Colorado, when the rainbow flags come out and I am supposed to be proud.

While it was affirming to me at one point to make it down to the thump-thump madness downtown here at Civic Center, I'm finding myself having similar thoughts about Pridefest this year as I do with, let's say, Valentine's Day.

Just as I loathe having to feel romantic on a set day each year, I find it odd that I have to be openly proud of myself just on a set day in June. It feels forced wishing random acquaintances a "happy gay day" at a generally tragic parade.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Pride celebrations as a whole do still serve an important role, mainly for people who are struggling with their own identities to see that there are many, many other people like them out there.

That is more important now perhaps than the stated of goals of broader community awareness of the gay community. Yes, there are still important political battles ahead, but winning over people's minds usually does not include shocking them into submission with the inevitable drag queens and leather chaps.

Let's just put it this way:

I am proud of who I am and the life I have.

I am proud of my partner of five years, whom I love very much.

I am proud to live my life openly and normally.

I am proud to be part of such amazing families, who love us both unequivocally.

I am proud of my friends, near-and-far, who have supported me through many things in my life.

I am proud of how far our nation has come culturally, despite the best efforts of those who would deny me rights my partner and I deserve.

I am proud of those who publicly take the risk to really stand up for who they are.

I am proud of all these things, every day. I am your friend, I am your neighbor, I am your fellow countryman.


So tomorrow, when I hang out with a small group of friends away from the ridiculous lines at the bars and the festival downtown, I'll be doing what I do all year long:

I'll be proud of exactly who I am -- and thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Here Here! Thanks for the perfect Pride setting.

    ReplyDelete

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.