Thursday, March 20, 2008

“Buckle Your Swash and Jolly Your Roger for the Funniest Rock 'N Rollickin' Adventure Ever!”

After seeing the upcoming movie trailer for “Mamma Mia” I was instantly reminded of another comedy/musical from the early eighties.

“The Pirate Movie” was probably best forgotten by most, but it left an indelible mark on me as a seven year old kid. Looking back it was the first moment where I realized I was “different.” Even at such a young age I secretly wanted to be Kristy McNichol who gets saved by her boyfriend, Christopher Adkins, after being kidnapped by some very “happy” pirates. Perhaps this is where Johnny Depp took some inspiration?



It wasn’t until I was fifteen that I would figure what “different” really meant, but Christopher Atkins was probably my first childhood crush. Some of you may remember him from a movie a couple years earlier, “The Blue Lagoon”. Sadly “The Pirate Movie” ended up taking multiple Razzie Awards in 1983 for worst director, worst musical score and worst original score.

Hopefully “Mamma Mia” will hold a special place for future generations as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.