Friday, February 22, 2008

Hastings Revisited

This past weekend I trekked back to Hastings Nebraska to celebrate my grandfather’s 80th birthday. I am never really excited to revisit this small town having spent my life growing up in Denver.

To my surprise I had a great moment of appreciation at the birthday bash being held at the old Eagles Aerie 952 club in the historic downtown. It is fitting that the club is on Second Street and Denver Avenue, which is the same block that intersects the historic Burlington Train Station.

As we drove to the event my mother and aunt were reminiscing about growing up in Hastings and all of the time spent walking the downtown streets with all of the soda shops, cafes and the movie house.

Some of that energy came back that night simply by having family and friends there to fill up the club. It was cool to see my family dancing along with my grandfather to the sounds of Glen Miller. Usually those sounds would be cringe worthy, but it brought me back to another era.

Today, the city streets in downtown Hastings are nearly dead with so many beautiful buildings just sitting vacant.


The city is doing everything it can to give a boost to its downtown and is offering incentives for small business to come back. We are fortunate to live in a city like Denver that has kept its roots in its thriving downtown. Hopefully, Hastings will figure out how to keep its city center just as viable.

For more photos of historic Hastings, check out The Adams County Historical Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.