Sunday, February 24, 2008

Comfort Drink

Last summer when we got back from Vietnam, I went on a quest to find some Tiger Beer.


One of the big liquor stores flat out told me I would never find it here. My local store gave it a shot, but never quite tracked down a local distributor.

Honestly, I am not sure why I love it so much. A basic, easy-to-drink lager, it is a bit lighter than the darker or more robust beers I gravitate towards. I chalk my love for it to the fond memories I have from all my time in Southeast Asia.

There I was, resigned to the fact that my next Tiger Beer would have to wait for the next trans-pacific jaunt, when the familiar feline bottles found me instead. A few weeks ago, accompanying someone else on a wine run, there they were, just waiting for me.

I finally popped open a bottle or two tonight, and for a quick second there I was back in that fantastic dive of a bar where we played backgammon all night to escape our tragic hotel in Hue. I was back in Singapore at a plastic table on the street in China Town devouring dried chili chicken. I was back on a Kuala Lumpur balcony, overlooking the city at night.

It is amazing how something so simple as an imported beer can make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.