Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Finding your bilingualism

This week's Newsweek brings us a great "My Turn" column by a Tucson, AZ hispanic woman who took a roundabout path to embracing a language, Spanish, she had once done everything to escape.

Having grown up bilingual, I do not understand people who cannot see the benefit of speaking more than one language.

Despite the occasional roar of the English-only lobby, I simply believe America is strong enough to support the multilingual fabric which links us to the world.

I know it has opened many doors for me over time. Language itself has been key to getting abroad and having the opportunity to experience so much that the world has to offer beyond our borders.

My parents always joked growing up that if we did not speak Spanish at home, we did not eat. Thankfully, I never lacked for a meal.

The real dessert however, was a world of opportunity and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.