Thursday, November 29, 2007

The revolution may yet be Tivo

With two flat screen HDTVs, I am primed for the high definition revolution.

Whenever it actually happens.

Today, Electronista teased something that could finally give me reason to upgrade my analog signal and give the ugly satellite dish on my patio a proper boot:

Imagine a standalone Tivo that completely replaces the cable box, offering full functionality including on-demand programming. It is the best of both worlds. You get cable's HD content filtered through cutting edge, expandable, Internet-enabled, Tivo technology.

All hail the next-generation Series 4 Tivo, expected next year.

HDTV so far has been all sizzle, with little bang for the buck. For a while there, I was convinced my dad's remote control was permanently locked into the all-undersea-documentary-all-the-time channel.

With cable and satellite providers finally ramping up HD channels, that is being resolved.

The lackluster DVR options are a whole different issue.

I am quite simply attached to my Tivo. I like the simple, intuitive way it lets me record whatever I want, and watch it whenever I want.

The dirty little secret is that HD programming requires significantly more hard-drive space, meaning the ridiculous equipment upgrade costs end up giving you less ability to manage what you watch. Throw in clunky interfaces as a bonus, and there is no comparison to what I have now

By removing that clunky tether for the technology I want, Tivo suddenly makes the HD upgrade compelling.

If it happens, the HD revolution may worth putting off, just a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.