Thursday, November 1, 2007

HD-DVD for a Ben Franklin?

What's your price for picking sides in the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war?

Wal-Mart is offering an HD-DVD player for a rock-bottom price of $98 this friday. Other retailers are apparently matching the price. It's only a matter of time before we see a similar deal on the Blu-Ray side, I'd guess.

At less than a hundred bucks, this does sount tempting.

Unfortunately, DVD players are all about the content really, and that's still limited for these machines. Most Hollywood studios have signed away their souls to one format or the other for a while yet.

Your Ben Franklin may get you little more than a big paperweight. Depending on who wins -- or for that matter if consumers win with dual format machines -- those old betamax machines may have company at the landfill.

I can't say that for $98 I'm not tempted.

I think I can wait.

By my recoking, regular DVDs still look just fine on my flat screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.