Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Social networking gets complicated

How did social networking become so complicated?

Social networking sites are supposed to make my life easier, my friendships stronger, reconnect me, help me professionally, or whatever else some net marketing hookster comes up with next.

The problem is, I'm up to five already, and counting...

Here's the rundown:

Friendster: The grand-daddy of them all. Remember when we were all writing the cute testimonials that started this whole craze? I only pop on there occasionally when I get a birthday reminder.

Connexion: The gay Friendster. This one I use more frequently, but mainly because it has become a useful e-vite alternative for many of my Denver friends.

ASmallWorld: The exclusive Friendster. This is the pseudo-swanky invite-only network towards which old friends from my travelling days have migrated. I check it sporadically for old friends.

LinkedIn: The professional friendster. In theory it finds you jobs and professional opportunities. I rarely check it.

FaceBook: I just got roped into this one by another long-lost friend. It looks like the new Friendster for those who've outgrown myspace (which I skipped, as the too-young-for-me friendster) but are too cool for Friendster anymore.

I also have a pending invite to something called Doostang, which sounds like the "exclusive" LinkedIn. I've declined others along the way.

At some point doesn't this get too complicated and defeat the whole purpose?

I keep finding that the glory of web 2.0 seems a bit overhyped as we all find our own little niches where to hide.

Who has time for all this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can choose to randomly remove comments on here at will, with no explanation.